If you are on the waiting list for the Medicaid Waiver, be sure to renew your application or apply for Caregiver Support Services (CGS), starting July 1.
Limited funds are available for Caregiver Support Services and funds are available on a first come, first served basis.
The fiscal year for CGS begins July 1, 2016 and ends June 30, 2017, and renews on July 1, 2017.
The hours are given out first come, first served, through local BDDS offices. Some districts do run out of funds.
To apply for CGS, visit Application for Caregiver Support Services.
What is Caregiver Support Services (CGS)?
- Short-term relief period for the primary caregiver provided in the primary caregiver’s and individual’s home or a non-private residential setting (i.e., a “respite home”).
- CGS will not be available to the primary caregiver if the individual is receiving or begins to receive other services from the Bureau of Developmental Disabilities Services (BDDS) or programs such as (but not limited to) Medicaid Waivers, Vocational Rehabilitation Services, First Steps, CHOICE.
- Providers must be selected from an approved CGS picklist.
- The provider will provide the trained staff to supervise the eligible individual(s).
- Staff can do the following activities:
- assistance with toileting and feeding
- assistance with daily living skills, including accessing the community
and community activities
- assistance with grooming and personal hygiene
- meal preparation, serving and clean up
- medication administration
- Staff cannot do the following activities:
- completion of routine household chores
- caring for non-CGS approved persons
- Staff cannot be the parent, spouse or primary caregiver of the individual receiving CGS.
- Staff cannot be an adult that also resides in the same residence as the individual receiving services.
- Staff cannot be used while the primary caregiver is at work.
- Staff cannot use his/her own home as the place to provide CGS.
- CGS cannot pay for the cost of registration fees or the cost of recreational activities, such as camp, etc.
- CGS cannot be used to pay for rent, food or other household costs.